What is Chivalry 2?
Chivalry 2 is a multiplayer first person slasher inspired by epic medieval movie battles.
What are its new features?
Chivalry 2 advances the vision of the original game with a true sequel. If you follow our development you’ll come to a better understanding of what all the below means, but in a quick list…
- Massive scale: 64 players in sprawling, multi-stage Team Objective maps, complete with epic castle sieges, forest ambushes and good old medieval pillaging.
- Next-gen visual leap: AAA presentation. Unreal Engine 4.
- Revamped Combat System: All new combat moves, a weighty and physical animation system and new, faster and more natural combat flow re-establish the Chivalry franchise as the best melee combat system ever made.
- Expanded sandbox: Battlefields are littered with things to interact with. Grab a chicken, set it on fire and throw it; improvise a new fighting style with pitchforks – or tomatoes!
- Enhanced player expression: What fun is stabbing without screaming? All new over the top characters and thousands of voice lines along with deep character customization provide incredible options for player creativity and roleplaying.
- Battered and bloodied: Keep fighting with missing limbs or even if downed and gasping your last breath. Chivalry 2 is about the feeling of survival against the odds and – if you do go down – the opportunity to make it a glorious death.
How does combat work?
Chivalry (2012) pioneered a combat system that brought sword fighting to the multiplayer FPS genre. For Chivalry 2, we have taken the foundation of Chivalry 1’s combat and revamped it to allow for far more dramatic and engaging fights at all skill levels.
Left click to swing, hold for a heavy attack, right click to parry. The mouse wheel performs stabs and overheads. Duck under swings or leap into strikes. Combo attacks – flowing from one to another in a whirlwind of steel. Riposte as a fast counter after blocking. A revised feinting system lets you play intense mind games with foes and gives another layer of control for the master swordsman.
Weapon attacks and blocks are weighty and satisfying, adding the proper amount of crunch as your sword sinks into your opponent’s skull.
We have added a variety of new attack types and adjusted the flow of combat to be more natural, flowing, faster and dynamic. Whether fighting in groups or 1 on 1, the rush of combat will leave your heart pounding and provides a true opportunity for players to create their own playstyle and master the system over time.
View the Combat Guide video for more info:
What about the ballerina moves / dragging exploits?
A major development focus for Chivalry 2 has been a complete rework of the animation and movement systems to ensure that combat both looks and feels weighty and satisfying like a medieval game should. In a multiplayer game it is critical that when you die you feel you understand how you could have done better. Visual indication of all actions must be clear and readable. Chivalry 1 did not meet these standards, and over time combat became understandably frustrating – especially against high skill opponents.
Our new approach is focused on ensuring that the transfer of momentum from strikes and adjustments players can make in real-time is at the right balance of visually understandable, physical in appearance and still gives players a true sense of control over their swings.
Chivalry 2 captures the promise of what Chivalry 1 should have been in terms of its hit detection reliability and combat depth, without forcing players to resort to silly/frustrating tactics.
Is there mouse dragging?
Yes, accelerating or slowing down your attacks by moving the mouse as you swing (simulating the torquing of your hips) remains an important part of Chivalry 2’s combat system. It is what makes it feel like you can lean into your strike, and aim with the precision you would expect from an FPS.
Dragging is an essential feature which separates our combat system from a canned animation system. However we have taken great efforts to make sure that combat looks realistic and have avoided moves that are confusing or look like exploits. As such, reverse drags will be limited. Swings will have a higher sense of momentum, able to be adjusted but not without commitment during a swing.
Maps and Modes
What game modes and maps will there be?
There will be a total of 8 maps at launch. They compose of 5 Team Objective maps and 3 Team Deathmatch/Free-for-all maps. The maps are:
- The Slaughter of Coxwell – Team Objective. View trailer
- The Fall of Lionspire – Team Objective. View trailer
- The Siege of Rudhelm – Team Objective. View trailer
- The Battle of Dark Forest – Team Objective. View trailer
- Escape from Falmire – Team Objective.
- Tournament Grounds – Team Deathmatch & Free-for-all. View trailer
- The Battle of Wardenglade – Team Deathmatch & Free-for-all. View trailer
- The Fighting Pit – Team Deathmatch & Free-for-all
Chivalry 2 features the following multiplayer game modes:
- Team Objective (Progress through levels capturing and defending objectives)
- Team Deathmatch (Fight alongside your teammates against the enemy)
- Free-For-All (Everyone for themselves in an all-out massacre)
What is the setting of the game?
The Chivalry games are set in a fictional universe inspired by medieval Hollywood movies and TV shows. We are not tied to strict historical realism but instead are attempting to capture the romance of the era.
Chivalry (2012) told the thrilling story of the Mason Order rebellion led by Malric Terrowin against the ruling elite Agatha Knights. We are excited to reveal the continuation of that story, 20 years in the future from the events of the first game. Watch the lore trailer for more information: https://youtu.be/KnHcGd50fcI
What are the teams?
Mason Order – For the Red and Black! Inspired by the virtues of strength, merit and dominance, the Mason Order has no respect for the weak and seek to crush any who oppose them.
Agatha Knights – For the Blue and Gold! The Agatha Knights are instilled with a strong sense of loyalty, duty, and honour and believe themselves to be the rightful rulers of the land.
What’s the max number of players?
Chivalry 2 supports up to 64 players on all platforms. The game also includes 64 and 40 player official servers as an option for players.
How many class types are there and what are they?
Chivalry 2 features 4 primary class types, containing a total of 12 subclasses to choose from:
- Knight – Play as Officer (melee/support/ranged hybrid), Guardian (shield + 1-handed) or Crusader (tank)
- Footman – Play as Poleman (long weapons), Man-at-Arms (agile with 1-handed weapons) or Field Engineer (support)
- Vanguard – Play as Ambusher (melee/ranged hybrid), Devastator (largest weapons) or Raider (two primary weapons)
- Archer – Play as Longbowman, Crossbowman or Skirmisher.
What technical requirements will there be?
- Windows 10 64-bit
- Intel i3-4370
- 8GB Memory
- 20GB Storage
- Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7870 2 GB
- Windows 10 64-bit
- Intel i7 6700 or AMD Ryzen 5 3500x
- 16GB Memory
- 20GB Storage
- Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 or AMD RX Vega-56
Does Chivalry 2 have controller support?
What languages are supported?
- Portuguese – Brazil
- Spanish – Spain
- Chinese – Simplified
- Chinese – Traditional
Does Chivalry 2 have official servers around the globe to ensure players receive the best possible ping times?
We’ve taken great measures to provide the best possible ping times for our players by having servers hosted in all parts of the globe. We will continue to monitor any additional needs after game launch and look to add more servers as needed. Please note, any connection issues between your local PC and your Internet provider will not be under our control.
Server regions at launch:
- Moscow (Asia-East)
Cosmetics and Currencies
What are the Crowns and Gold in-game currencies?
Crowns (premium currency) and gold (earnable currency) are used to purchase new armor, weapon appearances, and more. Crowns and gold are used specifically for cosmetic purposes only and do not impact gameplay. Customization items within the game will be “unlocked” (made available for purchase using Gold earned from playing the game) by levelling up each of the four Classes. However at any time you can purchase cosmetic items outright by using Crowns even if it has not been unlocked.
What is the character customization in Chivalry 2?
You can choose from a variety of faces (including gender options), skin tones, facial features, hair, tattoos and imperfections as well as armor appearance and weapon skins.
How many unique weapons does Chivalry 2 have?
There are over 60+ weapons including 20+ heavy and medium shield variants.
Who are the developers?
Torn Banner Studios is an independent game developer based in Toronto, Canada. Our team is comprised of developers from as far back as the original Age of Chivalry mod, in addition to seasoned AAA industry veterans. We are working with Tripwire Interactive as publisher.
What platforms can it be played on?
Chivalry 2 is playable on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and PC – with Cross-Play between all platforms.
On PC, Chivalry 2 will be available on the Epic Games Store at its launch. After one year, it will be available on other PC digital store fronts, such as Steam.
Why is it exclusive to the Epic Games Store for a year?
Our goal is to create the best game possible – and that will always be our primary decision-making criteria. This financial deal allowed us to substantially increase our investment in the game that allows us to put more focus, time and effort into making Chivalry 2 as good as it can be. This partnership allows us to do more for players in order to bring them the best version of Chivalry 2 possible with no compromises.
It’s also a decision based on our understanding of the store that Epic is building for the future, not just as it exists today. Our relationship with Epic Games as the creators of Unreal Engine 4, which we use to make our games, gives us the confidence that they will make the right moves in addressing both developer and consumer concerns with the storefront. In the long-term we are confident that players will be happy that our studio has been granted this opportunity.
How can I keep up with development?
- Epic Games Store: https://www.epicgames.com/store/product/chivalry-2/home
- Discord: https://discord.gg/5cr2cMp
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/chivalrygame
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Chivalry2/
- Forums: https://forums.tornbanner.com/
You can follow development postlaunch here: